MGM Studios (with a slight detour to EPCOT and then back again)

Walt Disney World Travel Blog

entrance

This is my dad's favorite park and our afternoon destination.  Our first attraction was Tower of Terror; we all love this ride.  Its running pattern has been altered several times since opening, each time for the better.  Right now it follows a random set of ups and downs, so you don't know exactly how the final stage will go (a tagline after this change: The Tower is in control).  We then walked through Narnia, basically what was an empty sound stage now filled with props from the movie.  The actress portraying the White Witch is a very good look-alike.  This attraction felt very special to me despite not being anything major.  I think part of it is the fact that I have been where C.S. Lewis and J.R.R Tolkein discussed their writing and theology and now I have seen part of what the movies into reality.

Mom, sis, and I rode Star Tours (Dad doesn't always do well with the motion).

young elephant
  Despite it being Star Wars weekend, the line was very short.  On the Star Wars weekends, we definitely saw a number of alien beings, some of them hired by Disney and some of them not.  We also fit in the Great Movie Ride with its scenes from classic films.

We took the boat over to EPCOT where the parents staked out seats along the lagoon (near the bridge between France and England, great viewing area) while the sis and I wandered through the pavillions for Morocco and Japan before grabbing some desserts and water for the family in France.  As always Reflections of Earth was a good show although I think too much time is spent on the images in the globe in the middle.

We hightailed it through the International Gateway and the Boardwalk Hotel Property, following a sidewalk back to MGM in time for the second performance of Fantasmic.  This is a good show (although I was very tired by this point); however, the one in California is better.

lobby of Hollywood Tower Hotel (aka Tower of Terror)
During my two days in Disney World, we visited all four of the theme parks.  Our first stop was the Animal Kingdom.  We try to hit this park in the morning to have better animal spotting on the Kilimanjaro Safaris.  However, we started the day in Asia at Expedition Everest, the newest ride in the park.  While this is not the biggest thrill coaster I have been on, it is definitely one of the most creative.  The theming while waiting in line is well-done (although we moved through the queue quickly enough to not get to dawdle over the cases of mountain climbing gear, animal skulls, and books on Yeti).  The ride itself is beautifully designed and in addition to the appearance of three Yetis, also contains an unexpected twist in the path traveled by your train.
in Morocco
  The Safari ride did not disappoint.  The best moment: when a mother giraffe stood right on the side of the road with two young ones (10 months and 4 months, not both hers, I don't believe).  We grabbed a quick breakfast in Africa and then re-rode Expedition Everest.  We spent a little bit of time in Dinoland (Primeval Whirl is a lot of fun if you don't mind quick drops and spinning motions) before joining the line for the newest attraction, Nemo the Musical (I don't know if that's its real name or not but it aptly describes it).  The costuming was well-done, the music ok.  I was a huge fan of Tarzan Rocks, its predecessor in the Theater in the Wild, so I was not overly impressed by this show.  I think it also didn't help that it was obviously geared to a younger crowd compared to Tarzan.
young elephant
lobby of Hollywood Tower Hotel (ak…
lobby of Hollywood Tower Hotel (a…
Asia banner