My adventure in cuzco and Machu Picchu

Cusco Travel Blog

2 summers ago (in 2005) I went to Peru, and had an amazing time. I went with a group of about 7 other people (all over the age of 45) from my church! It wasn't exactly the way I had expected to travel the world, but when I saw the announcement about going to Peru, I knew right away that I wanted to go. It actually turned out to be an amazing experience, and I am sooo glad I did it!

The main focus of the trip was to go to Sicuani, Peru, which is a small city high in the Andes, closest to Cuzco. We went there to visit a mission our church has. But first, we had to do a few touristy things, so we spent a couple days in Cuzco, which I really enjoyed, despite the insane drivers that try to run you over! It is this city that lies in a valley high up in the andes, wedged between mountains. It was conquered by the spaniards and they destroyed much of the inca architecture and built on top of it. It has a really old feel to it. We got to see the 12-sided stone (famous because the incas carved this stone to perfectly fit into a wall at 12 different angles), and really get a feel for the country...not to mention buy cool souvenirs like hand-woven finger puppets and mittens, and beutiful jewlery!

One or two days after arriving in Cuzco, we headed to Machu Picchu, the ancient Inca Ruins. To get there, we first took the train from cuzco to Aguas Calientes, which is the town right outside Machu Picchu. The train ride was very interesting for me since I don't do it often, and we got to see some of the country. I was also entertained by the predicament of my fellow traveler Fr. Eugene, who gets motion sickness if he faces backward in a moving vehicle. His problem was that since we were going down the mountains, there were a lot of switchbacks, to every time we switched directions, he'd have to get up and change seats! After a while, the train got too full to do that, and I think he got tired of it, so he just stood for the rest of the ride. Poor guy! Luckily, it wasn't too long of a trip.

Once we arrived, we went to our nice little hotel, and explored the town a little. We headed to Machu Picchu bright and early the next morning so that we could see the sunrise, and got to experience the thrill (and terror) of buses passing each other on very narrow, winding roads going up mountains. Lets just say its not fun to look out the window and see a beautiful view, then realize that you can't see the road beneath you because the tire is so close to the edge of the road that all you see is a big drop down the mountain!
Despite the harrowing ride (that lasted all of 10 minutes), it was well worth it. The skill that the Incas had in building and harvesting crops in such difficult conditions is impressive. They really were a very advanced civilization. I can't quite decide what the best part of Machu Picchu was, because I had 2 favorite experiences. One was watching the sunrise over the surrounding mountains and gleam on the site of the ruins. The other was climbing to the top of this massive mountain called Wayna Picchu. The Incas took a lot of their stones from this mountain, and they carved stairs in the rock of the mountain in order to climb to the top. So to get to the top of Wayna Picchu, you have to hike up these really steep and very narrow stairs, that have literally been chiseled out of the mountain, and try not to worry about falling off the edge of the mountain, because you are actually right on the edge! But it was definitely worth it when I got to the top and had a marvelous view, and it didn't hurt that I had a really great feeling of accomplishment!

Next, we headed back to Cuzco, where we were to spend a night and meet up with Sr. Eileen, who runs the mission in Sicuani, but more of that fingers are getting tired of typing!