AsiaJapanNagoya

Nagoya

Nagoya Travel Blog

Nagoya Castle.
Nagoya was pretty cool.  But INSANELY HOT.  It was almost unbearable.  We head over to Nagoya Castle.  It was kinda pointless.  The outside looked really cool though.  However, we had to walk up a lot of stairs to go to this observation deck, which was ok.  The cool thing about Nagoya was the freaking SUMO WRESTLING!

So the Sumo wrestling match was going on across the street from the Nagoya Castle.  Sumo matches go on all day, and we caught the last two hours of it, and the awards ceremony.  Apparently, last year, they went for too long, so we caught the end, but I wish we stayed for longer.

Sumo matches are kinda slow.  First they throw rice on the stage, i think to purify it.  The sumo guys do their little stances and they have to push each other out of the ring.
smack down!
  As soon as one gets pushed out, they stop the match and there is a lot of waiting around until they do it again.  It can seem kind of boring to someone that wasn't there, but the matches can get pretty intense, especially if they are pushing each other for a very long time (i'm serious!).  Most people in the audience were sitting on little mats and pillows.  Luckily, we got to sit in real seats.  Unfortunately, there were these really annoying girls sitting a couple rows behind me, shouting this one dude's name in a really high pitched voice and every FIVE SECONDS.  That was annoying and really pissed me off.  I was taking pictures, minding my own business.  I didn't really take a lot of pictures, and i decide in the final moment of the last match, i would take a totally awesome picture.
me about to kill this guy. i think i can see some leg in there.
  As i was going to take it, one of the annoying people slowly march right in front of me, with a flag, blocking my view in the last two seconds of the match.  Not only does it mess up my picture and get me infuriated, but i also didn't get to see the last part at all.  I almost ripped their heads off.

Another blonde adventure in Japan: As we're walking out of the arena, a Japanese man walks up to me and says I looked like an angel and I was beautiful.  Of course, they serve beer at sumo, so he was a bit drunk and it was awkward.

What was really cool was that, in the end, we got to see the procession of the sumo winner ride out with his little entourage.
LostInSpace2010 says:
What a great adventure! I had so much fun reading it, loved it! good job =)
Posted on: Mar 10, 2010
smack down!
me about to kill this guy. i think…
me about to kill this guy. i thin…
awards ceremony.