Interlude: Birthday Breakfasts or 'How to visit Moscow by train'

Frankfurt am Main Travel Blog

Wakey wakey.  Rise and shine.

Well today was mother's birthday so Rebecca deemed it appropriate for us all to troop around to Hotel Niederrad and surprise her at breakfast by having balloons and decorations at the table.  So there we were at eight in the morning frantically blowing up balloons and stuff before breakfast.

Luckily the grumpy receptionist man wasn't on duty that morning and the hotel owner was only too happy to allow us to join my parents for breakfast.  They weren't even bothered when the crepe paper table covering we bought left bright purple stains on the white table cloth!

Anyway - today was to be another trip out up the Rhein and so we headed off to the nearest S-Bahn stop to catch our train up to Rudesheim via Wiesbaden.  I mention this because of the highly exciting ticket machine come timetable that was on the platform here.

Now this is a tiny local station but the ticket machine allowed you to input the name of pretty much any mainline station in Europe and then would work out a route for you with all the connections, timings and in some cases even what platform you needed.  Oh the joys of German efficiency.  This machine gave me loads of fun as I worked out that we could be in Milan in eight hours or even Moscow in thirty six.

We were, however, headed for Rudesheim - so off we set.