EuropeItalyRome

The Vatican

Rome Travel Blog

My favorite pic of the Vatican

Today was okay...a bit of an adventure for my mom I think.

We started off a little later in the morning.  It was nice to sleep in a little bit.  After breakfast, we walked to the Vatican.  It took a little over an hour...not too bad.  The line up to the Vatican was about another hour long.  It was pretty hot outside but not unbearable.  Midway through line, people try to sell you so many things.  They also hand you restaurant advertisements, etc. and offer tours.  We just kept saying No thanks.  Midway through line, one of the so-called tour operators who mentioned no line tried to bud his tour group into the line.  He tried to talk to us and pretend he was standing there for awhile and then put 25 people ahead of us.....uh, ya right!  We just kind of gave him a funny look and then the people around us starting saying something. He didnt even act like he was doing anything wrong.  So then, he tried to get a couple of the people on his "tour" to bud in at a time...very interesting.  What a terrible American tour guide in Rome....not so polite.

The Vatican museum, of course, was quite amazing.  It is huge.  Id been to it before but this time, we werent on a time schedule so we could take our time.  It was quite hot though.  Around 3 or so we left and started heading back on the walk back to our hotel.

My mom did not take well to the heat or the long walk.  We walked past the Partheon, and a few other interesting looking churches and buildings and the trevvi fountain was pretty close (but we already saw it yesterday).  By the time we made it to the end, mom was beyond exhausted (and not so thrilled with my dads and my map reading...I think we did pretty good though :) ).  Luckily, we made it and we found a nice restaurant and my mom found some air conditioning and some cold white wine and all was good again.  I dont think this is the type of vacationing that they normally do but it is so nice to have them here visiting me from home on this long journey.

Tomorrow, Chris and Nicola (my brother and his girlfriend) join up with us for Christophers birthday.  We will get to hear all about their contiki adventures.

Rome