Sorrento...a happy mistake

Sorrento Travel Blog

The Amalfi coast.

Today was sad and happy and sad and happy again.  Crazy! :)

First off, mom and dad and I went for lunch and then they saw me off at the train station.  It was very sad to say goodbye again.  Rome was very enjoyable and it was the most adventurous Ive seen my parents be in a long time.  Saying goodbye makes me a bit lonely.  I seem to be saying bye to a lot of people lately.  A good book and some tunes got my mind off it though.

Next stop, Sorrento...or so I thought.  Did I end up in Sorrento.  Noooo....I caught a train to Salerno by accident.  I thought it was the same thing.  Now you might think this is stupid but name changes are quite common.  Prague = Praha.  Roma=Rome.  Naples = Napoli.  Salerno does not equal Sorrento though.  Gah.  So I got off the train and looked around and thought....this doesnt look like I remember it.  I sat staring at a map for about 10 minutes and then found the local tourist information stop.

She no this is SALERNO, not SORRENTO....and I went...ack!  The next train for Sorrento didnt leave until tomorrow and my hostel was already booked in Sorrento.  So I headed back and found out, luckily, that I could take a bus...only 5 euros to Sorrento and it was leaving....immediately.

I always seem to find such amazing locations when I least expect it.  The bus ride, though very windy (the bus had to stop to let a girl throw up from motion sickness), was spectacularly beautiful.  We wound around the Amalfi coast for about 3 hours.

I even got to go through Positano (famous in the movie Under the Tuscan Sun).  The Amalfi coast is gorgeous.  All the buildings are built into the side of a cliff that goes straight down to the ocean where people sunbathe and swim.  The sun was setting and we were going through the clouds for a bit just as we came down into Sorrento where my hostel was super easy to find....and nice....and clean....and cheap.  So all ended well so far and tomorrow I will get to check out Sorrento some more.

photo by: Shannon_atl