Sorrento and Paolo

Sorrento Travel Blog

My-Van and our free dinner on Paolo

My hostel is aok but wow, it sure is noisy.  Thank goodness for ear plugs.  It was still crazy loud though!

Today was certainly an adventure.  Last night, I met a couple of really nice girls from the US who are staying in my hostel room...Maivan and Michelle....both really nice.  I ended up going to some water with them and talking for a few hours about what to see and do, etc.  It turns out that we will probably all be in Thailand at the same time so we are going to meet up and travel together....maybe.... Its a long way off.

Michelle took off early this morning so I spent the day with Maivan, wandering the streets of Sorrento, chatting, laughing, and meeting lots of locals.

Sunset with some pizza
  We ended up first in an inlaid wood store (Sorrento is famous for it).  The owner was really nice and quite taken with Maivan who has a terrible cold.  So he sent us next door for a Mandarin punch...basically straight alcohol...like a hot tottie...steamed to warm it up.  Our sinuses were definately clear by the end.  Our minds, however, were not so clear. :) It wasnt even noon.

We went back to see him and he next gave us some pamphlets to drop off to his friend that owns a really top restaurant in Sorrento, reccomending that we eat there.  We were pretty hungry so wandered off to find Paola...the owner of the restaurant.  Paolo was very welcoming...an older gentleman.  His restaurant was, indeed, spectacular.  There were pictures all over of celebrities that have dined at his restaurant.

Although it seemed a little pricey, we decided to eat there.  It was a great surprise when at the end of the meal, Paola insisted that we not pay....that it was on him.  Italians are such generous people.  We were thrilled and thanked him over and over again for such a lovely lunch (left a tip) and then headed off to look at the shops and the beach.

As it is the late afternoon, everything is closed here so it is time for a siesta.  I am so glad I came to Sorrento....it is a lovely little Italian town. So I am off to take a siesta. :)

ME and the sun