AfricaEgyptLuxor

Luxor

Luxor Travel Blog

The sunset on the Nile

The felucca ride was pretty nice.  Three days was a litle long but it sure was relaxing floating down the Nile like that.  The felucca is basically a small sailboat.  It was a little crazy sharing the same small space with so many people for three nights and four days....wow.  You have to be sociable or it just doesn't work.  There was one lady on our boat who turned out to be a bit of a "princess" and very moody and you just can't escape it.  Everyone else was pretty great though.

Along the Nile, you don't move along too fast.  It's nice to keep moving though or else it gets too hot and the bugs start to get annoying....especially the longer we all went without a shower.  They stopped in a few places where we could go swimming but I opted not too with the crocodiles who knows where and the water questionable clean.

The sunset on the Nile
...quite a few of us didn't swim.

In the evenings, we would pull up to a beach (most of us dying to go to the bathroom) and stay there for the night.  The crew seemed to forget that they had to stop for bathroom breaks...probably because it is Ramadan and most of them are not eating or drinking during the day.  Not us though.

We stopped at a temple along the river for a bit.  It was awesome because we were the only ones there.  Very cool to be in this huge Egyptian temple with almost noone around.  Another great highlight was the last night when we had a big pow-wow with the local Nubian people, dancing to the drums around the campfire and having some sheesha.  Flavored tobacco in a really neat looking contraption.  It tastes really yummy.  Didn't try very much though since I'm not a smoker and I didn't want to be sick or have a headache.

We joined up early this morning in Edfu with the police convoy to take us here to Luxor.  Luxor seems nice so-far.  Tomorrow, we are heading up bright and early into a hot air balloon over the Valley of the Kings and then taking a donkey to the valley of the kings....Looking forward to it.

A couple of people on my tour have been sick so far but I haven't.  I can't believe it.  Maybe I was already exposed to whatever it is in Morocco.

The sunset on the Nile
Partying with the Nubian (Nubes)
Partying with the Nubian ("Nubes")
Luxor