An idea starts to become a reality

Roatan Travel Blog

projected floor plan for my little hostel- we'll see what the reality ends up looking like! Updates to follow.

After spending many years traveling backpacker style, staying in one place sometimes makes me a little antsy.  But with two young boys, the same kind of long-term travel isn't an option right now, and we love the home we've made here in Roatan.  The answer?  Have some fun travellers come to us :)  The last few years, we've been taking couchsurfers in our spare room a few times a month, and also have a studio apartment for rent short-term downstairs.  We have lots of additional interest, but haven't had the space, so I started thinking about making one.  Our little neighbourhood is great- nice and peaceful, safe, great neighbours nearby, and we've got enough land to add on another building.  And so, the plan hatched.  I started talking with my neighbour who has the hardware store at the corner of our street, who built our house, and working out a plan.  Two days ago, we started putting the plan into action!

The building will be divided into two halves- one will have a private bedroom with bathroom and kitchen and it's own entrance from the communal porch, and the other will be a dorm room (I'm thinking 3 sets of bunkbeds, but we'll see how the spacing works once it's built), kitchen, living area and bathroom.  Eventually a loft room will be added on too, but for right now, I'll try to get one half finished so I can start getting some revenue in to complete the other side.  So exciting :)  Hopefully have one side ready to go within a few weeks.

Suusj says:
Really liked this blog :).
Maybe visiting someday :).
Posted on: Feb 06, 2016
simsing says:
I love your positive spirit!
A big congratulations on your acheivements and the blog feature.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2013
travelman727 says:
Mel, sometime within the next couple of years, I'm coming to visit :-) We need to have a TravBuddy meetup in your neck of the woods :-D
Posted on: Mar 10, 2011
projected floor plan for my little…
projected floor plan for my littl…
Roatan