Port Douglas Paradise

Port Douglas Travel Blog

This has to be one of the nicest areas in Australia to live.........
The surroundings are world-class. The Daintree rainforest and Cape Tribulation to the North, Cairns and Palm Cove to the South , The Great Barrier Reef out to the East and The Atherton tablelands to the West.
Port Douglas has so much to offer you would be hard-pressed to do everything in a month!!

Apart from the number of activities avaliable is the sheer beauty of the area and the friendliness of the local people.

Top 3 Attractions

Barrier Reef
Most people go out on the bigger boats but I personnally prefer to go out on the smaller ones. I find that it is a more personal experience and no where near as crowded, the food is better and thet usually go to 2 or 3 different sites.

Daintree Rainforest
Go with a small 4WD company if you want to go further than Cape Trip otherwise it's a great drive to the cape and look out for wild pigs and Cassowary. Great walks and waterfalls - go to the rainfortest tower.

Hartleys Creek Crocodile Farm
This place is awesome!!! I saw the biggest croc I have ever seen here!!
Loads to see and the displays and the boatride are well worth it. Best Croc farm ever I reckon!!! Lovely food as well. Go early though so you don't miss out.

People and Lifestyle

Port Douglas relys on the tourists to keep it going. The town shrinks in the low season (summer) due to the heat, the marine stingers and rain. If you want to come with no crowds then summer is for you!

The winter, after the annual carnivale to signal the start of season the town goes wild and gets really busy. All the restaurants are full and accomodation is booked out.

People up here live a laid back lifestyle and are very easy going.

christinka says:
Leigh - I'm so glad you wrote about Port Douglas here! I'm staying there for just one night before and after my GBR liveaboard trip, so these are just the tips I need for my short time on land. have any good tips for seeing the rainforest in less than a day?
Posted on: Dec 02, 2007