March 3

Riga Travel Blog

Me on the river

We got up around 1 PM from last night. We visited the large market area. There was first a completely western department store. There were then a series of markets in giant airplane hangars which sold tons of stuff: meats, seafood, produce, exotic honeys, cheap clothes. I always enjoy visiting local markets.

We then ate at the Malibu pizza restaurant. It had a huge selection of thin crust pizzas, which were really good in fact. What a cheap meal.

We then bought drinks at a local supermarket, and by then, it was time to go back.

I separated from the group to take a lovely walk on the river. It is so wide that it feels like a lake... a frozen lake covered with snow. Being a San Diegan, this was very exotic for me. I stood there for maybe 15 minutes, admiring the barren expanse. I could look at it "forever," in the same way one can admire the ocean. It really made me feel in a place far far away. It was also fun to look at the sky directly in the direction of the incoming snow. It was kind of equivalent to the screensavers that show you wooshing through space.

That night we went to "La Rocca," the biggest club in the Baltic. It was pretty impressive, with scantilly clad professional dancers, hi tech lighting, several rooms, and a great atmosphere.

After the club at 4 AM, we went to a fabulous Latvian restaurant,  where I got the creamy mushroom sauce on top of potatoes. It really hit the spot.

Riga Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
  Don't be detoured by the restaurant's tacky lauau docor. This place is great. They have a large selection of delicious thin crust pizzas, none of … read entire review
photo by: sarahthevegasbride