2007 - Daytrippin' in Rimini

Rimini Travel Blog

Rimini from the quay

The terrible duo, made up of my Mother and Sister were over to visit and obviously wanted to hit the beach seeing as in Ireland summer=RAIN.

One of the things I love most about Italy is the amazing transport system, the rail-network in particular. I live 10 minutes walk from the train station and therefore have the whole country at my doorstep. And it's not expensive either. I can go Milan and back for €25, or to Venice for €20. Its great. So, we took advantage of the hourly service that stops in Imola and bee-lines for the coast, and in less than an hour we were there. Rimini is a city for all kinds of people.

A fellow-Irishman we bumped into on the beach.
..if you love the beach you have one of Europe's biggest seaside resorts to play in. If you don't like getting sand between your toes you can explore the town and it's many intriguing little shops, or bustling cafés filled with an equal mix of Italian and foreign tourists. Ice-cream parlours are as plentiful as pubs in Ireland, each offering the classic flavours and of course some personal recipes. One of my favourites has to be 'rhumba', which is a chocolate and rum ice-cream with chunks of dark chocolate and cherries. Divine.

Anyone looking to get a few snaps should head out along the quay, where you can see the curved coastline stretched out on one side and the yachts of the rich and fancy-free moored on the other. We took a walk down the promenade and stumbled across a dolfin aquarium that I had never noticed before even though I have been to Rimini more times than I've had hot dinners! The show was amazing.

The beautiful dolphins
We were right up close to the water. The trainers seemed to be talking with the dolphins, and they seemed to respond. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. It was kinda pricey at €15 for 30 minutes, but still it was something I wouldn't have the oppurtunity to see very often.

Rimini also has a high student population as part of the University of Bologna is actually housed here (Bologna has one of the largest Universities in the world and has had to expand its courses to nearby town and cities to allow for the demand from students). Because of this you'll find a huge variety of entertainment here. There are even a few Irish pubs, which naturally,  we had to sample (to make sure they were up to standard, of course). So, sunbathing, ice-cream, shopping, dolphins followed by drinks and we were back home in Imola at 8pm. God bless TrenItalia! :)

Rimini from the quay
A fellow-Irishman we bumped into o…
A fellow-Irishman we bumped into …
Waiting for the train