2006 - Christmas shopping in Venice

Venice Travel Blog

Venice at dusk

I decided to head to Venice to get some extra-special x-mas presents to take home for friends and family in Ireland. I didn't know exactly what it was I was looking for, but I knew that "special" can always be found in Venice.

Even though it was freezing cold, Venice was packed with tourists. Most people make the mistake of getting on the 'vaporetti' (busboat) right outside the train station, but I always stick to the streets. Rio Terra Lista di Spagna is just left of the train station and has tons of shops selling all the things you'd expect and not expect to find in Venice. I love the colourful Murano glass so I bought a clock and some ashtrays. Then I got some miniture christmas trees make entirely from glass (getting them home in one was fun!!) and some baubbles for my mother's tree.

St. Mark's Sq

I made my way down to St.Mark's Sq. to see the christmas lights. It looked amazing. Strange for Italy because most cities use plain white lights (no idea why - x-mas is about colour!) The Sq. was full of Japanese tourists for some reason that day. I was talking to some and they were surprised to find an Irish girl in Venice (...yeah, because I was expecting to find myself in Little Tokyo?!!!) Anyway, I continued my shopping misson by looking for the Disney store. I'd been told there was one in Venice, but I'd never come across it. When I finally did...I was delighted to find a Winnie The Pooh with a Venice t-shirt and a gondlier's hat. Nothing says Venice, like Winnie The Pooh in a gondolier's hat!!  : )

Feeling kinda peckish, I decided to hit a bakery for something sweet. One of my favourite things to snack on here are the giant green pistacchio cookies.

Green cookies
Everything in Venice is so colourful...even the food!! :) And of course Venice has great coffee to wash the cookies down with!!

After I had got enough presents, I just wandered around a bit while waiting for my train home. The city is so enchanting after dark. And a little less packed as the tourists tend to go back to their hotels when it starts to get dusk.  I usually seize the oppurtunity to take photos when there are fewer people getting in the way. And like I said, there's something about Venice when it's all lit up at night...

I got the last train home to Imola and was pretty tired but satisfied when I got home.

St. Marks Sq