EuropeItalyTurin

2000 - Turin, and how I got there...

Turin Travel Blog

Il Mole Antonelliana,

I had been in Bergamo 2 weeks when everything started to go haywire with the family I was staying with.  We keep having arguments about the kids and what time I was coming home at night and they only paid me I asked them about 1,000,00 times.  So, I tried to ring the au-pair agency, that was based in Turin, but I got no answer. One morning after a really bad fight with the mother I packed my stuff and got on the train to Turin. By the time I had arrived, I had got throught to the agency and someone was supposed to collect me from the train station. I waited from noon until 9 at night. Finally I was collected and taken to a new family. They seemed so much nicer than the other lot, even though there was a 2 month old baby as well as a 7 year old and a ten year old.

Palazzo Madama
But Turin seemed a lot more fun than Bergamo.

The atmosphere in Turin was very formal and almost 'icy'. Everyone keeps to themselves there, and if it wasn't for the other au-pairs I met in the Irish pubs I think I woud have found it very difficult to make friends. I lived on Via Po', which is one of the main streets right in the city centre. The Mole Antonelliana was 30 metres behind my appartment. It houses the National musuem of Cinema and has been described as being the tallest musuem in the world at 167 metres (548 ft). It was usually the first thing I saw every morning when I looked out the window. I also lived very near Piazza Castello, which is the most elegant of Turin's Squares. The square is flanked by Palazzo Madama and Palazzo Reale.

The Egyptian musuem is the second biggest in the world. Its quite impression and takes a few hours to see. I went to see the Shroud, but it isn't actually on display so I had to make do with a large photo the have in the Duomo where the real shroud is kept.

The best thing about the city though, is the amount of Irish pubs...there are 5 on one street alone!  :)

Piazza Castello