2000 - Bergamo, a first (and last) impression

Bergamo Travel Blog

Cobbled streets of Cita Alta

The mother from the family was collecting me at the airport with her father. I got a huge surprise when I discovered that the two kids I was going to be teaching engligh to were about to become three! The agency didn't tell me that she was eight and a half months pregant.

It took an hour to drive from Milan to Bergamo. The drive was nothing special...just a highway like any other. But when we got to Bergamo everything changed and I got my first glimpse of Italia. Bergamo has two distinct 'quarters'. The older part of the town or 'città alta' as it's known as, is on higher ground than the main town and a funicular conects the two.

Cobbled street
 The family's house was like something from a movie. A three-story villa with a huge garden. They were LOADED! The father worked for a company that made car parts for formula one cars. They had a housekeeper from the Philipines and her husband did odd jobs around the house. It was a strange situation. I didn't even have to dress my bed. All that was expected of me was to teach the older boy (10) english after school and play with the 2-year-old and indroduce english to him with songs and stuff.

My second day there, I took a trip up to the old town. It was so different to anywhere I'd been up until then. The narrow winding streets, so typically Italian. I found a cheese shop and sampled some amazing (some not-so-amazing) cheeses that I'd never tasted. There was a church there that some tourists were gathered at, but I never figured out what was special about it. I had my camera and took loads of pics. It's a good thing too, cause that was the first and last time I went there.

Bergamo