2000 - Departure

Limerick Travel Blog

Take off from Shannon airport

My decision to move to Italy wasn't something I had forseen. When I was younger, I always said I'd move to New York when I grew up. Italy was nowhere in my plans. But I knew I wanted to travel. I had been working with a neighbour of mine who had triplets babies and had returned to work part time. It was great. Earning money to take care of 3 angels. I loved kids!. I also wanted to see the world, so when I saw an ad in a local paper looking for au-pairs in France, Switzerland and Italy, I rang the number and 2 days later received an info pack. I chose a family with 2 kids in Switzerland, and was due to leave 2 months later. But then I got a phone-call from the agency asking if I would be willing to change my plans and leave in just 2 WEEKS and go to Italy instead because there was a family who's au-pair had left without warning. I decided to go as Italy is a pretty good second choice! Bergamo was going to be my new home (so I thought). I booked my flights to Milan Linate airport and started to make preparations for my move. No-one was too upset that I was leaving...after all, it was only meant to be for 2 months...........

Landing at Milano Linate airport