Country Roads, all about Luray?

Luray Travel Blog

When I traveled in England and Ireland the fall of 97, I was surprised to hear the John Denver song "Country Roads" all over the place. It was played on the radio, in pubs,  people were humming it as they walked down the street. I even received a standing ovation for singing it at a karaoke bar in London. The applause was for the song choice and not the vocal talents, I assure you.
I have always thought the song an anthem to Luray. Although Luray is in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains and does partially lay claim to the Shenandoah River, the song was written about West Virginia. I kinda ignore that part.
This is a bit embarrassing for me to admit, but when I was in high school the local choir group, which I was NOT a member though I auditioned, wrote new lyrics for the song. I can't remember all the words, but some parts went something like this..
Almost heaven, Luray Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River..
blah, blah, blah... more and more ...Dixie Diner, never tasted finer, take me home country roads... There was a diner called Dixie, at the time, at the far end of Main Street. It may have moved to a new location. I only ate there with my grandmother many, many years ago.
When I was abroad I used to tell people that song was about my home and they would , say "Oh, you're from West Virginia?" I would then wince a bit and say I was from Western Virginia. Teehee

travelman727 says:
I used to sing Country Roads as part of an acoustic duo. Little did I know i was really singing about Luray! Thanks for setting me straight :-D
Posted on: Jun 28, 2007
Luray Sights & Attractions review
Check out my blog for a complete review of Luray Caverns. It's well worth a visit. As the most decorated… read entire review
Luray Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Hungry in Luray and you don't want to visit a chain restaurant or local diner, try A Moment to Remember. The fare is lite and inexpensive. Situated … read entire review
photo by: vances