Unique Perspective of Luray Caverns
Luray Travel Blog› entry 1 of 4 › view all entries
The ground below the Shenandoah Valley is as breathtaking and magical as its surface. Caves, fresh water springs, and animal burrows are concealed underground; many (aside from the animal burrows) are open for tours. The most popular of the cave attractions is Luray Caverns. As the most decorated cavern on the East Coast, and possible the entire country, it definitely deserves its status as a registered US Natural Landmark.
Some cave facts:
- The first air conditioned home in the US, Limair, was built above the cavern. The home is cooled by fanning in limestone filtered air, from the cave, keeping the home a constant 70 degrees.
- The air temp in the cave is 58 degrees all year round, so bring a sweater if you need it. You know who you are¦
- There is much more to the cave than what you will see on the tour, but you do get the best parts.
- Though the walk is not strenuous, you should wear comfortable shoes. I gotta tell you though, I've seen brides wear heels¦
- There are weddings in the Cathedral room, within the cavern. One was even featured on TLC's The Wedding Story. I think it was a Wiccan wedding, but any denomination can get hitched there.
Now, I can provide a unique perspective of the cave because, as a teen, I worked there as a tour guide. In fact, if you visited Luray Caverns between the years of 1989 and 1993 there is a good chance that I might be pictured in your family photo album. I stood about 5ft 1 and had dark brown hair (likely very frizzy thanks to the humidity) and very bad bangs.
Should you choose to tour the caves, avoid asking your tour guide the following questionsâ�¦
- How many bricks are there in the walkway?
- Was that organ here when they discovered the cave?
- Did somebody have to build these walkways?
- How can the cave be as old as you say it is when the Earth is only 6000 years old? (really, I got this one all the time..._
On second thought, do ask those questions and watch the guide blush and try to come up with a polite answer, so as to not make you look foolish in front of the rest of the group. It's a tricky treat to watch.