Arriving back in the ROK

Kunsan Travel Blog

Korea! I am back here again, I lived here for a year once. I wouldn't say it's much of a cultural immersion for me, I'm surrounded by American military troops so everything is very Americanized. I can't wait to get away from the crowd and see the more beautiful, more exotic locations in Korea. Maybe "exotic" is the wrong word, I have been to much more exotic locations in the world. I like to go to the places where maybe they don't speak English, the menus certainly in aren't in English, and there is beauty all around.

I went out tonight for my first Korean meal since I left Korea last time back in 2005. Beef bulgogi (beef strips sauteed in a sauce with onions, carrots, and sometimes various other ingredients), yakimandu (fried pork dumplings), and, of course, rice! Afterwords some soju to finish off my meal. I love the garlic in the Korean cooking, and the various relishes they put out before dinner. Today's kim che was cucumbers with a spicy sauce--spicy bean curd that they love to add to their cooking. Bulgogi is different everywhere you go, and I love that!
travelman727 says:
I love Beef bulgogi! However, when it comes to kim che, you're on your own :-D
Posted on: Jul 06, 2007
bretaye says:
I miss bulgogi! Yum. They have a few Korean joints here that try but nothing beats the real thing. And soju...mmmm. I am jealous.
Posted on: Jun 20, 2007