I made it!!!

Accra Travel Blog

I made it safetly to Ghana! I can't believe that I am sitting here typing this from Africa. It still has not hit me. We got in this morning after a long day of flights. It took us over 1 1/2 hours to leave from JFK. We got here in Accra and after going through customs we checked into our hotel. It was a lot nicer than I thought it would be. Then, we went to the Osu Food Court for lunch. We had pizza, lol. It was pretty good. Then, we spent an hour walking through the market. It was rather overwhelming. There are people everywhere walking up to you and trying to show you something to buy. I had so many Ghana bracelets and t-shirts in my face to last a lifetime. They kept saying, "Sista, come look" or "see what I have for you." It was kinda crazy. I kept saying no thank you to them but they would follow us for a while. I did not buy anything today. I spent the time watching the people that had been here before barter. I was amazed. I know I will have to try it, too. I just wasn't ready today.

A quick note: driving here is crazy. The people all just move along at a steady pace and swerve in and out and merge. I don't think I could ever have the courage to drive here. People just honk there horns to have people move out of their way. Ten seconds do not go by without hearing someone honk.

We then went to a Ghana Museum. There were some pretty neat displays. I liked the collection of chief stools. They have special carvings in the middle that each stand for something. We then came back to the hotel to take a shower and then I have been on the computer. We will be eating supper shortly. We are just having it at the hotel.

Tomorrow we will be going to Parliment. We will go out to lunch and then go to visit a seminary. I think we might have some free time to explore in the afternoon/evening.

worldcitizen says:
The roads are so crazy in Ghana. I know some people who've lived there for years and they still won't drive!
Posted on: Jul 07, 2007
travelman727 says:
I know you'll enjoy Ghana! Horns are essential for driving in West Africa; you can almost survive better without brakes than without your trusty car beeper :-D
Posted on: Jul 07, 2007