Day 2: Homeless harrassment and a big flood

Prague Travel Blog

Big flood
You are perhaps looking at the title and wondering what the hell I must be talking about, but it makes sense... at least it does in my warped little brain.
Once we managed to coax ourselves out of bed, we went back to the Old Town Square. As I mentioned before, there is a large clock tower in the middle. We went into the tourist information to have a look at options for going to see a black light theatre production (as we had seen flyers that were being passed around advertising various performances). We finally decided upon seeing Frankenstein and took the leaflet with directions to their ticket office. Whilst inside the information point we noticed you could actually go up to the top of the tower and what with me being a big fan of heights, you can guess where I was nudging Kate.
Jan Hus Monument from the top of the tower
It wasn't that far a climb... in fact I think we beat the people that arrived at the same time we did but decided to wait for the lift to come (although, if I am honest I'll confess that we ran the last couple of levels so that we would be able to make such a claim). Once there, the view (although not as high as some we have looked from) was amazing. We looked out over the city at all the roofs.... one of which had a boat perched on the top. This caused a giggle briefly wondering whether it had got stuck there during a big flood. After going round the top of the tower and looking at the square from up above, getting a particularly good look at the Jan Hus Monument. This was the massive monument that dominates the square. It shows two groups of people, a young mother symbolising national rebirth and the figure of Hus emphasising the moral authority of the man who gave up life rather than his beliefs.
And the bell tolls

After enough photos were taken, we went back down to the tourist info and stood outside whilst investigating a map.
Poor Kate, isnt the best at hiding her thoughts when put in the situation and she could not help but look shocked when a homeless man started rooting through the bins next to us. I suppose he noticed the look on her face and commented in an American accent "if you don't like it, you shouldn't be hanging around next to bins!" Oh god! If her face was a picture before, it was an entire album of them after that. I suppose it was a shock to hear a homeless person speaking with an American accent in Prague, even more so because she is half american herself.

We had finished everything ten minutes before the hour so sat on the curb and waited for the clock to chime.
Looking up at the national museum
After all, we had been up to the top of the tower, might as well experience the entirety of the tower. Each chime showed different figures curling round the top of the clock and a skeleton sat at the side, symbolically ringing a little bell in his hand to match the large one at the top.

We then made a couple of trips to various museums. All of which were closed. One was the antonin dvorak  museum (again the music theme for Kate - in  this circumstance I think she studied some of his work for her degree). We also visited the national museum which was situated in Wenceslas square, directly behind the statue of King Wenceslas. It had a sign on its door; although, quite helpfully the sign was in czech so we had no clue what it said.
Walking to the edge of Prague's city limits had it's advantages - we came across a supermarket of sex and Kate bought some tights from a Tight store that was closing down. Mostly though it was just a chance to explore  Prague and walk.
We walked a lot that day.
Big flood
Jan Hus Monument from the top of t…
Jan Hus Monument from the top of …
Prague