The stakeholders

Geneva Travel Blog

A civil society delegation from Sri Lanka came to Geneva to register our presence during the very important peace talks between the SL government and the main tamil group the LTTE. We came because we are stakeholders in the peace process and we wanted to gain the support of the international community to help us in our peace building efforts in our communities ...

When I say "we," I am talking about a group of six university students from every region and every ethnic background in the country. They are witnesses of the ethnic conflict that has ravaged Sri Lanka for more than 20 years. They've experienced the effects of war first-hand, they've done research on human rights violations in their communities and now they want to expose to the world why its critical that this peace process moves forward.

A little about myself: I am a Sri Lankan native, but grew up in the U.S. I have a B.A. in English from UCLA and am taking a short break before pursuing post graduate work in international human rights law, specializing in the conflict in Sri Lanka. This idea came to me that to the answer to sustainable peace and justice in Sri Lanka is through the university students and the support of the international community. This project linked the two and hopefully their exposure to the resources available to them in Geneva during the time of the talks will take the peace process forward in strides ... or at least baby steps. Its all about baby steps.

Well, I will basically let the students do the talking ... so keep on the look out for the students' personal experiences in Geneva in the next couple of days.

Happy Traveling!