Day One

Lille Travel Blog

I am totally, utterly lost. I am at the wrong train station and I do not speak French. Surely this is it for me. Surely I will die here, miles from home, and my body will never be found. I am a goner.

I check my already dog-eared Eurail timetable, and sure enough, I'm supposed to catch a train in Lille in just under half an hour, but I don't see any departing trains going to the place I'm going at all. Surely this is the station, right? I mean, I got off the Eurostar in Lille, so this must be the Lille train station. This is ridiculous.

Then I notice a funny little abbreviation next to the station name in the timetable, and I see that it's different from the abbreviation next to the other Lille station name, and that's when I discover that there are two (actually, I think there are three) train stations in Lille. Great. How far away is the other station? Where is it? I figure out the correct station's name via a key in the back of the timetable and wander the station in hopes of finding a map or a sign. No map, but there does seem to be a sign with the name of the station and an arrow pointing to...a boarded-up door. I decide to take a chance and wander outside in the general direction of that arrow and sure enough, I make it to the station. Clearly an act of god.
Eric says:
I've been lost at the wrong station in France while not being able to speak French too. Good times!
Posted on: Mar 01, 2006