Day One

Canterbury Travel Blog

These entries will be fleshed out as I get around to them...my first priority is getting all my pictures up first.

I woke up in the dark (5:30 am) on my bare cot (the room having been emptied the night before) and considered hiding in the bathroom for a month. Reason got the better of me and I managed (eventually) to take a shower and get dressed. I walked all the way down the hill...in the snow...with my bags...to the train station, bought a ticket to Ashford and waited. I ran into Stephanie who was on her way to London, so she was able to keep me company for a while. In Ashford, I bought a Eurostar ticket to Lille and waited again. I started to panic a little once I got there. John and I talked on the phone for a few minutes, but I kept feeling sick to my stomach so I had to go. It felt like an insurmountable obstacle, this trip, which I would never have undertaken voluntarily.

Last year I studied abroad in England (note: I'm American). Because Kent didn't allow students to remain in the rooms over break and I couldn't exactly go home, I had a month to fend for myself. I thought a Eurail pass and a smile would be enough, and in the end it was. But I'm not exactly adventurous. The following is the account of my whirwhind, mostly-solo tour through Europe.
Canterbury