Suweimah and the Dead Sea

Suweimah Travel Blog

Dead Sea

As we drove along the Dead Sea on the way to Bethany, we noticed a very cool public beach.  Upon leaving the Baptism site, we did our best to tell our driver to head back to that spot.  We actually had little trouble, and arrived at the Amman Beach in just a couple minutes.  Now, Suweimah is the name given to the area in the northern Dead Sea where there are many hotels and beaches.  Amman Beach just happens to be the best public one.  So, we went inside and checked out what the beach had to offer.

We were pleasantly surprised upon entering the beach area.  As it turns out, the beach area includes several snack areas, a restaurant, a place to get ice cream, two pools, and access to the Dead Sea itself.  Excited as I was, I quickly threw my stuff in a locker and ran out toward the Dead Sea.

Public beach on the Dead Sea
  Putting my feet in the water, I couldn't believe how warm it was.  Whether a condition of the salt or not, I was happy.  So, with Cathy watching on the beach, I waded out until the water was about knee deep.  The next thing I did was one of the dumbest things on the whole trip.  I chose to fall backwards into the water with my arms out to see if you really do float.

Obviously, with that much salt in the water, you do float...but the consequence of falling into the water is the splashing - I managed to get salt water into my eyes, nose, and mouth.  Now let me tell you...I've been in salt water before, but the Dead Sea is SALTY.  No, I mean SALTY.  10 times worse than anything you have ever experienced, I guarantee you.

Me floating with salt water in my eyes and nose
  My eyes tightly closed and trying to breathe through my mouth, I floated for a while before I decided to clean off the salt.  Well, I could no longer open my eyes, so I had no idea which direction to go.  Cathy, goofy as she is, decided to play marco polo with me.  Our taxi driver, who had managed to enter the beach and was at the water's edge, came up with the idea of throwing rocks at me to get my attention.  Needless to say, neither worked.  Seriously, rocks?

Finally I stumbled back onto land and washed off all the salt.  Someone told us later that some people who fall into the water such as I did actually drown because they panic once the salt gets into their nose and eyes.  I am glad I didn't do that.  I did decide from that point on to play it safe, and spent the rest of the time there swimming in one of the fresh water pools.  It was a little chilly, but I was done with salt water for the day!  We dried off in the mid day sun and then decided we would head out to Mount Nebo.

Public beach on the Dead Sea
Me floating with salt water in my …
Me floating with salt water in my…
Me about to float
Me about to float
Suweimah Sights & Attractions review
This reviewer had the opportunity to drive the entire length of the Dead Sea to see how magnificent it really is. I noticed, though, that until you r… read entire review
Suweimah