Petra - day two

Petra Travel Blog

The Treasury

We slept in a little this morning (because yesterday's hike wore us out), and went down to grab breakfast in the dining area of the hostel.  After breakfast, we thought it a good idea to head back down to the market to grab some more food for lunch.  We then returned to the hostel and got our ride back to the entrance to Petra.  Today, as we were walking towards the Siq, a local radio station stopped us and asked us if they could do an interview.  We said sure.  The reporter asked us what we thought of Petra and asked us if we knew anything of the New 7 World Wonders.  I had indeed heard about the 21 locations around the world that people could vote on as the next 7 wonders of the world.

Look at all the little people!
  It just so happens that Petra is one of those 21 locations.  When asked if we would vote for Petra, we said yes - and we did!

When we made it through the Siq to the Treasury, we decided we would do some serious climbing today.  We went on a morning long hike that put us on a cliff overlooking the Treasury.  With the Siq zig-zagging behind us and the Treasury in front of us, it was an incredible sight.  We ate lunch with the view around us before hiking back down.  It was here that I proposed to my girlfriend!  I'm not entirely sure why I picked this spot, but it just seemed right!  :)  We then took the time to hike up some of the other hills before heading back to the hostel.  We were on our way to the Dana Nature Reserve that night.

halilee says:
What an incredible proposal site!! I think it would have been perfect and i'm sure it was! :)

Was the hike very difficult? I would like to do the hike up there, but we will be with our kids who at the time will be 9, 11 and 13 yrs. They have done some pretty good hikes, even a couple of years ago they did 9 hrs of the Narrows hike in Zion NP in Utah.
Posted on: Aug 02, 2012