Nazareth

Nazareth Travel Blog

Basilica of the Annunciation

After we made our way back from Megiddo to the bus stop, we decided to head north to Nazareth.  Another biblical town and an important one to Jesus, we thought it was worth a look.  Well, we took the bus, and got off too early.  We ended up quite a distance from the sites we were looking to see.  So, after asking around a bit, we took another bus that took us closer.  After wandering around the city for a while, trying to find signs that would guide us where we wanted to go, we stumbled upon the Basilica of the Annunciation - the site where the angel came to Mary and told her she would be giving birth to a son.  After spending some time at the basilica, we decided to wander around the city some.

Statue of Mary
  Now, I never expected Nazareth to look like it did 2000 years ago, but the city just wasn't what I expected it to be.  We got lost countless times, signs were rare (in hebrew or english), and they just sometimes pointed in the wrong direction.

After an hour or so of this, we were ready to head home.  Using my guide book, we found the bus that would take us back to Tiberius, and found the bus stop.  Then, we waited for the bus to come.  And we waited...and waited.  My book said the bus comes every hour.  The people on the street said the bus comes every hour.  The bus didn't come.  We waited one hour...two hours, almost three hours.  Finally, we gave up and hailed a cab.  We got in, negotiated the price, and the driver started off when the bus pulled up behind us!  We jumped out of the cab and ran to the bus as fast as we could.  It was late and we were tired, but at least we were heading home.  For the record, the bus cost us less than $2 per person, where the taxi would have cost us about $20 per person...that means a lot when you're on a budget!

jgatus85 says:
so there's nothing in Nazareth really? :S
Posted on: Apr 13, 2011
kingelvis14 says:
Sounds like you had a very tiring and frustrating day. So sorry about that. You are right ~ Nazareth really was a disappointment to me, too. But I was with a tour, thankfully, and didn't have to worry about catching a bus or finding a taxi.
Posted on: Jan 07, 2008