AfricaEgyptCairo

Back to Cairo

Cairo Travel Blog

Khan el-Khalili souq

We made it back in to Cairo at about 8:00 AM.  We took the metro from the train station back to our hostel, and dropped off our things so we could walk around the city.  I had called a friend in Cairo the day before, and we met up at the Egyptian Museum.  We went inside and were able to check out many of the relics from Egypt's past.  Many of the pieces found in the tombs of the kings were moved here.  The biggest exhibit belongs to King Tut.  His tomb was found most recently fully intact.  All of his belongings (including what he was wearing) were moved to the Egypt museum and were on display.  The guy had some serious bling!  Unfortunately, they would not let us take cameras inside the museum!

After checking out King Tut's stuff and the other rooms, we headed over to the mummy area.

Mosque in Cairo
  You have to pay an extra fee to see the mummified remains of Egypt's ancient rulers, but again, when am I going to be in a place to see that again?  So we paid up and went inside.  Talk about gross!  There are some very famous mummies there, including Ramses II, Tuhtmoses III, and, after we came and went, they discovered another of the mummies on that exhibit was Hashepsut!  How cool!

So, after almost losing my breakfast looking at the mummies, we went to lunch.  It was Cathy's turn not to feel well (probably from the food on the cruise ship), and she went back to the hostel and laid down a bit.  I went with my friend to Khan el Khalili, which is a huge bazaar in Cairo.  We walked around there for a while and checked out some of the mosques.  After that, I went back to see how Cathy was doing, and Cathy and I took a walk along the Nile.  We wanted to see an Egyptian movie, but none of them had english subtitles...oh well.  We grabbed dinner at one of the places my guide book recommended before heading back to the hostel for the night.

Nile River