AfricaEgyptCairo

Arriving in Cairo

Cairo Travel Blog

The traffic is way worse than this picture lets on
Our plane landed in Cairo around 9:00 and we were out of the airport by 10:00.  We had to worry about customs and get checked luggage, etc.  We had a driver waiting for us at the airport, and he took us to the hostel we were staying at.  We had heard rumors about driving in Cairo, but nothing is like experiencing it first hand.  Let me start by saying that they do have lanes painted on the road, and they do have stop lights and signs, but these are all optional.  Seriously.  These guys fit 4 or 5 cars next to each other on a 3 lane highway, and the whole time they are yelling at one another.  Everyone has scratches on their car, and no one has side mirrors.  Again, I am serious.  After a grueling 30 minutes of speeding, cutting people off and being cut off, and many gentle nudges and words, we made it to the hostel.  Needless to say, we went right to sleep.
pbug31 says:
i will agree with every word about the streets and driving. I dont think any words can actually describe what it is really like until you see it for yourself. I had to laugh when I read this. :)
Posted on: Dec 19, 2007
hambone47 says:
I have been following your trip because its very similar to the itinerary we are going to follow. Really liked your prose on Rum Wadi.

I was curious about the hostel you stayed at in Cairo. Can you remember the name of it? Would you recommend it to fellow travellers?

john
Toronto
Posted on: Sep 29, 2007
The traffic is way worse than this…
The traffic is way worse than thi…
Cairo