Rasnov Travel Blog

Râşnov Castle on the hill

We got back on the bus in Bran and headed over to Râşnov Castle for no reason other than to see another castle.  The bus this time dropped us off in the middle of nowhere, and as we headed toward town we realized how hungry we were.  As we found a market in town, we saw the castle way up on the hilltop overlooking the area.  With a sigh, we knew we had a lot of walking ahead of us.  Not really finding anything we wanted at the market, we found a fast-food type place - basically a guy in a trailer selling meat sauce, and some french fries in some sort of tortilla thing.  It wasn't something I wanted to eat, but the choices were really limited.  We did grab some bananas from the market to make up for it.

Râşnov Castle
  I think we make the people mad when we each buy one banana...but that's all we wanted.

We walked through the town toward the castle, and we realized there was no way to the top from where we were.  We had to walk around the entire hill, and once we got there we still had no idea how to get up to the top.  There were no signs, just an occasional vehicle driving down a dirt path towards the castle.  We figured it would get us there eventually, so we went up.  The path split several times along the way.  Like I said, it was a large hill so picking the wrong path would prove costly.  I followed the recent vehicle tracks and we did indeed wind up at the castle.  I guess not many people walk it; I didn't think the walk was that bad but there were several cars at the top.

From Râşnov Castle
  We headed into the castle and just took a moment in the shade to relax.

I don't know too much about this castle, other than that it was a defensive castle against Turks and who knows who else.  Today it is just a ruin, but there are several artifacts on display and great views over the countryside.  In the end, it was worth the walk up there...and the walk down.

We headed back to where we were dropped off to take the bus back to Braşov, but we had to wait forever for it to get there.  We had made plans to meet up with some other folks at the main square later, and I wanted to walk around the town a little, so I got a little impatient.  We did make it back with plenty of time, though.

Rasnov