Into uncharted territory

Bratislava Travel Blog

Bratislava castle

The early morning flight from London left without a hitch, and I was on my way to a new country, new culture, and some new experiences.  I was definitely excited about it!  I really didn't know what to expect, but my fear was that things would not happen as efficiently as I would like them to.  Would I be right?  Stay tuned!

I landed in Bratislava and took a bus to the train station.  (You know the train station is going to be in the city, so if in doubt, take a bus there...just be careful in cities with multiple train stations!)  I dropped off my things at the hostel and started out into the city.  I knew I only had about 24 hours here (by the way, I hate whirlwind trips, and this trip kinda turned out like one.

Bratislava
..so I really didn't enjoy it as much), so I wanted to make the most of my time.  I am also on a quest anywhere I go to collect all the coins of that country, and at least one of the bills.  I knew that would be hard here.  As I headed further into the city centre, I found a tower that I could climb to get a good view of the city (you know how I love those!).  Bratislava is a beautiful city, which I discovered more and more as I walked around.  I headed through the main squares to Michael's Gate and then the Primatial Palace.  This palace has seen many kings over the years, although not to be confused with the castle.  It was at this palace that many important treaties were signed.  I was not allowed to take pictures inside, and some angry ladies followed me around to make sure I didn't.
Bratislava
  I snapped some photos when they weren't looking, though!

My next stop was to the Danube river, which by design or not I would follow for the next part of my trip.  I took the promenade along the river, taking in the sites through the town as I headed toward the castle.  I hiked up the hill and took some pictures of the outside of the castle.  For some reason, I don't have pictures inside...it was either boring or not allowed.  I remember now that the inside of the castle had exhibits on various people and events, and nothing to do with the castle.  It offered some neat views of the surrounding area and the town.  From there I headed back toward my hostel to the Presidential Palace, where the Slovakian president lives and works.  That ended the excitement of my day in Bratislava, and it was about 4:00.  So, I walked around the city a little more, working up an appetite for dinner.

I found a neat little restaurant off the main drag in the city center.  It was really cheap and good food, so I was happy.  As the sun went down, I headed back out into the city to see what happens at night.  There was some sort of festival going on, and lots of music and street performers.  It was neat to see at night.

Bratislava concert hall
Bratislava concert hall
Theatre in Bratislava
Theatre in Bratislava
Promenade along the Danube in Brat…
Promenade along the Danube in Bra…
St. Martins
Presidential Palace
Presidential Palace
Bratislava Hostels review
Downtown Backpacker's in Bratislava
I'll never forget this place. After the hike from the train station to the city centre, it was nice to come to this place at the end of our journey. … read entire review
photo by: EmyG