Day 13

Sneem Travel Blog

Batt Burns overlooking Kenmare bay.

I’m not a big horse fan so today I took both the hiking options instead of horseback riding. The first trip out, Batt took us to a good spot for picture taking even though technically we were trespassing! We also saw some dolphins and spent around ten minutes trying to catch at least a dorsal fin on camera. I think Julie got one. The second hike took us along the other side of the bay along the sandy beach. Even though it was January, it was pretty nice weather for beachcombing. Along the way we talked about anything and everything and even skipped a few rocks.

We had lunch at the Blind Piper where, yet again, I got to eat Cream of Vegetable soup--something I’ve discovered I absolutely love! (When I got home, my dad found a place where you can order them online, so now I have a ton of soup mix!) The Blind Piper was rather odd seeing as there were a few old men inside and the TV was tuned into old episodes of Scooby Doo.

That night we met with Batt again and we read aloud “Riders to the Sea” which is a haunting play written about the Aran islands. We heard more stories and huddled around the fire as the wind once again came howling into the house.

photo by: kasteelcru