Day 11

Sneem Travel Blog

We spent most of the day on the bus again, roving through the terrain towards Sneem. We stopped by the Michael Collins memorial which was located in the spot where he was killed. Along the drive we learned about a sport called “road bowling” which I personally think we should start a league for back home.

We stopped a small town for lunch and filled up on potato crisps and coca-cola--bought in bulk so it was cheaper but harder to carry.

Late that afternoon we finally arrived in Sneem, and after an intense feeling of Déjà vu, I realized I wasn’t crazy and that I had actually been there before. Kristen and my lodgings were completely across town from everyone else, but it was nice and cozy and the woman who ran the bed and breakfast was an excellent cook!

We ate dinner in one of the local restaurants (which included another fantastic cream of veggie soup!) and then met at the Convent house--which was where most of the et of our group was housed.

With the wind whistling through the cracks in the doors and windows we learned a gaelic song from Moira Burns and heard a lot of local history from seanachie, Batt Burns. He also recited Yeats’ poem “The Stolen Child” which was downright enchanting.

photo by: kasteelcru