Day 10

Cork Travel Blog

statues at Cobh.

Today we headed outside of Cork to the town of Cobh and the heritage museum there. Cobh was the point of departure of many immigrants during the famine years. It was an excellent exhibit and almost ghostly with the statues and displays they had set up. I all ready knew a bit about immigration conditions, so it was interesting to just be in the place where it all went on.

After Cobh we headed to a friend of Ken’s house and had lunch where I got my first taste of cream of vegetable soup--which I had seconds of! It was delicious! Then we learned a bit about Michael Collins and watched part of the movie bearing his name.

Then we headed out to a typical Irish dairy farm. I’m not really interested in farming at all, but it was a little interesting to learn the difference between Irish and American farms.

After that, we headed down the road a ways to a restored thatched cottage. Inside the floor near the fireplace was made of stone and was used for dancing. There was a small upstairs loft used for sleeping and the roof was thatched thick with straw. I probably had the best time here as the locals threw us a bit of a party. There was music and step dancing and Rachael doing the Polish Polka. There were homemade scones and a bit of the moonshine, called poteen and mentioned to us later to be for “external use only.”

statues at Cobh.
the Thatched Cottage where the loc…
the Thatched Cottage where the lo…
photo by: sarah_82