Arrival

Lima Travel Blog

After what seemed like forever on the plane, we finally arrived in Lima.  We had a several hour stopover in Miami...just enough time to see the Miami Art Museum (MAM) and the Miami Historical Museum.

The art museum was interesting.  They were having a show about art that incorporated different senses; sound, light, time.  One of the coolest exhibits was a wall of glasses filled with water.  Each had a tiny spinning magnet in the bottom, creating a vortex in the glass.  Each glass also had a different pitch associated with it, all playing at the same time.  But pressing levers on the wall, you could stop the vortex in individual glasses, as well as that glass's tone, and see how that altered the overall tone of the piece.  It seemed very Zen to me, all those single pitches adding up to a whole, and by removing a single individual you alter the whole.  According to the artist, the "voices" of the water are intoning the "Sacred Om" of Buddhism.

After Miami, back on a plane, flying into Lima.  A Peruvian band was playing Andean music by the luggage pickup.  Rush through the airport to grab a cab to the Colonial Inn.  Our driver, Reynaldo, gave us a talking tour of the city.

At first, on the way from the airport at least, Lima seems a bit dirty and disparate.  No more so than any other city, mind you, and probably due more to my exhaustion than anything else.  As we drove through the city, splashes of color from casinos and shopping centers illuminate the streets.  American corporations have also left their mark, as we drive by Papa John's pizza joints and McDonalds.

Our hotel was nice.  The room was quaint, a one bedroom apartment over-looking the street.  At that point I was just glad to have a bed.  A sign left at the front desk gave us instructions on where and when to meet with the rest of our tour group the next day.  My whole experience of Lima was to be the 40 minute cab ride from the airport plus the time it took to fall asleep plus the 40 minute ride back to the airport the next day to catch a plane to Cuzco.

I fell asleep thinking about the Sacred Om exhibit at MAM.
Lima