Big Sur

Big Sur Travel Blog

After my father got his bags from his host family in Santa Barbara we began driving North on California Route 1 in the morning. What I love about California is the meditarranean climate, it is almost exactly like Spain. As we drove up North the road began to be right next to the ocean and then began to take some dangerous curves around cliffs and mountains that come right up to the waves. I made my dad stop the car several times because the view was so incredible. I had never seen such impressive ocean views in my life. Espscially at sunset, at times you could just see the orange light gleaming behind a massive cliff, and the curves on the road made it all the more exciting knowing that my dad had to be completely alert at all times, the only roads I have seen comparable to this one are the ones up in the pyrenees mainly the Collada de Tossas.
the famous redwoods
The weather kept changing abruptly and it was so awesome, we'd be driving in the sunlight, then turn a curve and be driving in a low fog. We got to about the middle of the big sur region where the redwoods begin.
We camped out in the forest. We decided to go on a hike, and it was a bit chilly so I took a couple sweaters, what I didn't know about California climate is how quickly it changes to absurd heat once you go even the slightest bit inland. So there I was, halfway up a mountain carrying three sweaters in my arms and about to die of heat. But it was really nice, all the dead oaks from the Sudden Oak Death epidemic really provided a lot of shade (not at all). I saw a bunch of lizards and bright wildflowers. Then I went back to the camping area where there was a short trail through the redwood forrests. There was a plaque that said that Native Americans ate acorns. So my dad decided to eat an acorn.
the famous redwoods
On the beach with seaweed.
On the beach with seaweed.
Big Sur