Arriving in California

Los Angeles Travel Blog

I got to the Los Angeles airport where my father was waiting for me with his rental car. He had been living in Santa Barbara for two weeks for an astrophysics conference. We had to get there by night, but we decided to stay a while in Los Angeles first. My dad's host family had recomended that we visit Venice Beach, so that's where we went.
we parked a little far from it so that we could walk through the neighborhood before reaching the water. Living in the houses we walked by must be so nice. There was a grid of canals that could be walked around and over by a series of sidewalks and bridges. a little inconvenient when there was no bridge built to walk around a block or two to the next bridge, but it was a nice walk and I got to see a couple large birds (I love birds).
So as we got to Venice beach we saw a cute little boardwalk and a lot of punky people walking around. We were right next to a skate park, so I took the opportunity to take some pictures. It was really hot so I decided to go in the water.
I had to change into my swimsuit inside a smelly public bathroom that was full of grafiti, it was really gross. The water was really cold. So I basically just ran in and ran back out, but it was rather refreshing. As it got later, we tried to find the car and it would have been a complete disaster if I hadn't remembered the name of the street we were parked on, because my dad wasn't going to remember. We drove North and stopped at an Italian restaurant that was really nice.
We drove past the Hollywood sign and it is completely overrated. It looks really dirty, sort of an off-white from the highway.
Seaguls and homeless man.
Seaguls and homeless man.
Some skateboarders at Venice Beach