The mast goes up!

Cap d'Agde Travel Blog

DAY 53

Tuesday 31st July

Wake and have a solitary breakfast, the first time I have been alone for some weeks and likely to be so for the next 3 weeks. Spend the morning waiting nervously for the appointment time with the crane. When I get there its obvious from the puzzled look on the crane operator’s face that all isn’t going to plan. He was expecting the mast to be all ready to go but of course the mast is still horizontal on the boat with all the rigging bundled up. A man called Alistair appears and sorts out the confusion. The mast is lifted of and laid on two supports for me to work on untangling the rigging, a job that takes the rest of the day.

DAY 54

Wednesday 1st August

Every time I move the boat I get very anxious about it. I have to get off one mooring and onto another, easy enough with two people but not so easy on your own. So far I have been lucky as there hasn’t been much wind. Quite what I would do if it was windy and there was no one to throw a line to, I’m not sure.

Return to boatyard to have the now prepared mast lifted into place. Alistair very kindly takes charge and its up in no time at all. He looks very sceptically at the kink in the forestay which was caused when I dropped the mast. As I am getting the boom ready to be attached to the mast I drop the connecting pin which of course drops into the sea. Curse my stupidity again. Spend the afternoon wandering around looking for anyone with a large magnet or wearing diving gear.

Cap d'Agde