Say goodbye to Bob & Diane again and get a haircut

Agde Travel Blog

DAY 47

Wednesday 25th July

Time to say goodbye to Bob and Diane (again). Diane’s parting gift is to cut my hair with Bob’s beard trimmer. I’m very relieved as I wasn’t looking forward to going in to one of those unisex places and have a svelte young hairdresser make disparaging remarks about my hair which I can’t understand.

Penny and I cast off and head for Agde where I have been told there is a good boatyard.

The guidebook says there are lots of moorings in Agde but when we get there I’m buggered if I can see them. There are moorings but they all seem to be taken up with local small boats or barges which obviously haven’t moved in years. One of the problems with the Canal du Midi is finding a suitable mooring for a boat with a keel. The keel prevents you from getting close to the bank and so restricts where you can stop.

Pass through the round lock in Agde and then out into the Herault river and down to the sea! Pass by the boatyard but there is nowhere obvious to tie up and so carry on. I can almost feel the relief of the boat as we meet saltwater for the first time for 7 weeks. Turn up the coast and head for Cap d’Agde. The sea is quite choppy and it’s strange to feel the boat moving with the waves again.

photo by: ratu