A Deux Pas du Canal

Meihan -sur-Garonne Travel Blog

DAY 30

Sunday 8th July

Finally leave this marina which I have come to hate and motor upstream to face the first lock at Castets en Dorthe. The lockkeeper has seen us coming so we motor in and then the fun starts. This lock is enormous and when we look up, all we can see is a patch of sky, with a bearded Frenchman looking down, shouting instructions (in French of course!). Eventually Andy works out that he wants us to tie a loop in the end of our mooring lines which he will then haul up with his very long boathook. All is well in the end and when I meet the Frenchman his first words are “Is this your first lock?“ He turns out to be very friendly and helpful and I buy the vignette (90euros) which I need to use the canal system. He waves us off into the canal, wishing us good luck.

As we motor along Janet lets slip that she knew exactly how we should have prepared for the lock because she had read the extensive information someone had very kindly passed on to me at the last stop. I of course, blindly trusting to luck had neglected to read the instructions. Janet said she thought I knew what I was doing!

We make our first stop at Meihan sur Garonne and are met by a very nice lady called Josette who tells us all about the village and the facilities - toilets, showers, water and electricity and all for 2 euros a night! Have a good meal in the restaurant which is literally 2 steps from the canal - A deux pas du Canal.

Meihan -sur-Garonne