New Years Eve!

Madrid Travel Blog

So peaceful.

What an experience!  Everyone must do a Madrileno New Years at least once.

Jens and I used this day to explore Madrid.  I had been here before with my best friend when we were about 19.  I don't know what was wrong with me back then, but I didn't like it that much.  I LOVED it this time.  What a beautiful city full of things to do, art, exquisit architecture, beautiful parks, and GREAT shopping.  We did the museum thing, we walked around the city and the parks and then we decided to do a little bit of shopping.  We hit Zara (of course!) and then some fine Spanish leather shop.  I've heard that Spanish leather is inferior to Italian leather, but I think that's bullshit.

One of the museums on a free day.
  Why?  Jens bought some incredible leather gloves, a card carrier, coin purse and brief case.  They feel the same as my Furla bag.  Anyway, we had good luck with shopping in Madrid.

That evening, we met up with my friends and decided to bust out the wine and licorice liquor.  I don't know how to describe it, but it's this hard alcohol that Danes drink and it smells like gasoline/licorice, but it doesn't taste as bad as it smells.  That means that I could take a half a sip without losing my insides.  But it was a lot of fun getting drunk, waiting for the party outside to start and reminiscing about old times.  Natalina and Sarah remember when I met Jens.

Anyway, while we were talking, two Turkish girls who couldn't have been older than 17 walked in with their luggage.  This is a small room so to even have an extra person in there was really tight.  That wasn't that fun to be honest.

But New Years was fun.  We walked outside to the mayhem and the crowd's atmosphere was really intoxicating.  We took a bottle of champagne and yelled and screamed with the rest of the crowd which seemed to be from every corner of the world.  We shared our drinks with a Nigerian guy, a French woman and her aunts, and another German.  And of course at midnight, I got my kiss from Jens and my friends.

One of the museums on a free day.
They really do like ham that much.
They really do like ham that much.
Showing off.  Theyd kill me if th…
Showing off. They'd kill me if t…
Why did we stay in a hostel??
Why did we stay in a hostel??
The gang in the square.