Starting to really get ready

Guilderland Travel Blog

Today I really just spent some time by myself and thought about the journey I am about to embark upon. I really don't feel like I am ready to do this. I mean, 1200 miles... 3 months...away from everyone and everything that I have ever known? That seems a little extremem to me. I guess the biggest thing that i sbugging me is that I really don't feel like I am thoroughly prepared. And I don't mean physically. I can do this, no problem. I guess what I am most concerned about is food. I just don't want to be stuck in the woods, starving to derath. I think that would be a pretty far fetched scenario, but my mind works in interesting ways.

I did make some progress with my gear today though. I did a little surgery on my backpack, cutting off some straps and other useless stuff. I went over my equipment again and tossed out a couple of things. I am ditching the razor, because I am not going to shave anyway. I am seriously considering ditching the leatherman tool as well. At a half pound, it might be a little mutch. In terms of clothing, I am pretty much all set, save socks & underwear. I also need a pillow, and I think I am going to try and make one out of some water wings. That is probably going to work out just fine.

I guess the other thing that is bugging me is that I don't really know where we will be at any given time. I would really like to make it to Kahtadin (ME), wich is the Northern end of the trail, but I don't know how feasable that is going to be given my kind of forced schedule (I need to be back to work by August 13th).

You know what, everything will work out just fine. I got James coming with me and he is the king of playing it by ear, and I will never be too far from civilization. And how many times do you get a shot like this? To do something that you have dreamed about your whole lief? Not all that often... I am gonna take this trip and make and adventure out of it. This will be fantastic. Even if I will miss what I got here, I know it will be here when I return, and will be around for a long, long time after that.
norm1487 says:
Yeah, I am planning on going ultralight, which is usually defined as 12 pounds or lighter in base pack weight (food and water excluded).
Posted on: Apr 10, 2006
Eric says:
Good luck on your adventure! I'm guessing that if the leatherman is too heavy, we're not going to be seeing updates from your laptop + satellite connection while you're away? :)
Posted on: Apr 09, 2006