Preparation, Preparation, Persperation

Guilderland Travel Blog

Doing some more work to get ready for this adventure today. It seems like an everlasting process. Getting comfortable with my gear is my first goal. It takes constant iterations to lay everything out on the floor and look at each piece of equipment. Then you decide either a) I need this, b) I don't need this, or c) I need something that does this better / faster / lighter / more effectively. An example might help here. I have been reading more and more online journals, and I see a lot of thru hikers raving about baking soda. I have now read of it being used as toothpaste, deodorant and cleaner for pots. I am going to give it a shot and see how it works. Anything that can be used for more than one thing is so much better than a piece of gear that can only do one thing.

I'm getting my gear and clothes together for training hike number 5 tomorrow. As of right now, we (Justin S and I) are planning to hike up the steep side of Mount Greylock (tallest point in Massachusets) from the North Adams side. I figure it will be good practice for when I actually get there in a couple of months. The biggest thing I am scared of is blisters, but I think I am gonna slap on some moleskin and tough it out. Another aid should be the new knee brace that I purchased recently. Its smaller, more rugged, and more secure than its predecessor, so we should be sitting pretty. I am going to bring a full pack tomorrow. I doubt that Justin will, but I don't think thats too big of a deal either way. I'm running pretty light, and need to practice like the real thing.

In other news, I am going to be a school project. Pretty exciting. The second grade at Heatly School in Green Island (NY), has asked me if I will come in and share my plans with them before I leave, and then keep them up to date with my progress including pictures, letters, and stuff like that. In return, they have agreed to send me care packages and letters - letting me know what I should make sure I do or see or who I should talk to along the way. They will be my research department of sorts, a home base to keep me informed and up to speed on civilization. Some people might think its kind of corny, but I think its pretty cool. Any time you can use your experience to help or educate or entertain someone else, then its better than just doing it alone. Plus its a bunch of second graders, so that just makes it double.

I have been staying up late recently, just thinking about what this trip is going to be like. I have to admit that I am still pretty nervous, but as it gets closer and closer (and more real), that all starts to melt away. I am going to do this, and I am going to finish it, and I am going to have one hell of a story to tell when I am done. Anyone got odds on a huge Northeastern hurricane this summer? I told my brother that if we see any snakes, I am going to throw one at him and he has to catch it... in his teeth. In all seriousness though, 27 days until I am outta here. Countin' down.

Guilderland