Day Two

Dahlgren Backpacker Campground, MD Travel Blog

Happy Mothers Day! Mom, thanks for everything, Love your two wookies.  Today was a day of firsts.  First full say on the trail.  First no so great weather.  First shower.  First meat (pepperoni).  First day in a tent.

After passing the rest of the evening at the beautiful Ed Garvey Shelter, and learning all about the attractions of the area, last night our shelter mates (D. Broom and Valderama) decided it was time for a game of Boggle... who plays Boggle in the middle of the woods?  Who even plays Boggle?  Whatever.  I finally drifted off to sleep around 9:30 and tossed and turned essentially all night.  I have to get this pillow situation figured out STAT.  I confused the hell out of myself, because I have my watch set to military time.  I woke up, hit the patented "indiglo" technology and saw 0:31.  I was like "Damn, what is wrong with my watch"... Turns out I am a moron.

We were up and packed and outside by 8:00 a.m., and enjoyed a feast of maple and brown sugar oatmeal and scrumptous lactose free whey protein.  We hit the road at a quarter to nine and trekked the 4 miles to Gapland Correspondents, and the lady at the museum was nice enough to let me charge my phone for 20 minutes. We had a snack consisting of granola and scooby-doo fruit snacks (Ruh-Roh!).  Scooby Doo for President in '08.

We got right back on the raod and took a nice leisurely pace until we got to Rocky Run Shelter.  It only slept 4 and was fully occupied.  So by default, we continued on to the Dahlgren Campgrounds.  I just brushed my teeth, showered, and put on clean clothes.  I feel like a new man.  I'm sure I still smell, but its better than it was.  All told, we did about 12 miles today, and at least as of right now, are planning the same for tomorrow.  I don't think it should be too much of a problem.  The biggest challenge tonight will be the tent (which is small) and the rain (which is wet).  Time to get my grub on.  Minute rice and turkey pepperoni - Sorry 'Lyss, none for you.  Keep dry and safe

Dahlgren Backpacker Campground, MD