Day Three

Ensign Cowall Shelter, MD Travel Blog

Today was the hardest day so far.  We woke up to the pouring rain, had to get ready to go in a down pour, hiked 14 miles and then finally came to rest around 5p.m.

This morning seemed like it was work.  Muddling through the woods in the rain.  The one thing that did stick out in my mind was how green the forrest was.  It reminded me of the picture on the cover of "A Walk In the Woods."  It rained pretty steadily all morning, including some really foggy patches, making the normally spectacular view from the Washington Monument (no, the other one) nothing to write home about.  We stopped at the Pine Knob Shelter for lunch and met a couple of college lookin dudes coming southbound.  We ate lunch (granola and PB wraps), had some gatorade, and refilled our water bottles.  Speaking of water bottles, my camelbak (TM) (R) (C) has sprung a leak, basically filling my pack with water.  That doesnt really do me a whole lot of good, so my water capacity is down to one liter until I can get in to town to get a new water bag.

The end of the day was much brighter than the beginning.  The sun came out, the temperature rose, and James and I found two beers in the spring near the shelter.  MGD and Natty Light.  It does a body good.  After a 14 miles day today, we are pretty exhaused.  We are going to head into Smithburg in the A.M. and grabd a bite to eat, then tackle the 5 miles to Devil's Racecource shelter after lunch.  That will get us to the Mason-Dixon line on Wednesday around noon, where we can grab our mail drop and then head back into the wilderness.  Remember to tell someone "I Love You," cause the chances may run out.

Ensign Cowall Shelter, MD