Day Four

Devil's Racecourse Shelter, MD Travel Blog

Last night can be described in one word: c-c-c-c-cold.  I don't know what the temperature was, but we have 35 degree bags and we were both shivering throughout the night.  Not enough that I would worry about hypothermia or anything, but enough to make it an uncomfortable night.  A father-son duo rolled into camp at around 10:30p.m. well after James, Steve (a fellow AT hiker), and myself had called it a night.  We awoke shivering this morning and decided a trip into town would hit the spot.  We went into Jerry & Phil's Meats & More.  Boy, did they have a whole lot more! We got some samiches, OJ, chocomilk, banana chips, candy bars, and beef jerky.  We caught a ride back to the trail from a super nice old dude who didn't shoot us or kidnap us or anything.

We took care of the 5 miles today without too much trouble.  SkippyJon (our trail mascot) took a little spill into a creek while trying to pose for a photo.  Curiosity killed the cat.  We also ran into Hansel and Gretel again today, an older German couple that hikes using the two care method.  We pass them every day and are jealous that they sleep in warm beds.

James and I are tending our fire, which we built to stay warm, because I can see my breath right now.  We are considering setting up the ten inside the shelter, just to get another layer between us and the elements.

STAY WARM
*Norm

verdi545 says:
I recently hiked most of the Maryland parts of the AT and found your blog...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. They are entertaining and encouraging for someone who's just begun dabbling on the AT and overnight hiking.
Posted on: Sep 16, 2009
X_Drive says:
You'll hate me for saying it's 95 degrees here in central California.
Keep enjoying your trip, and stay warm.
Posted on: May 20, 2006