Day 65

Full Goose Shelter, ME Travel Blog

Finally, in the last state
I honestly feel like today represented an enormous turnaround for me. I got up and out late, (last one out of the shelter, which is rare), but I just walked today. Didn't worry about how far or how fast, I just kept plugging along. It all became real when I saw the sign that read "Welcome to Maine." It hit me. I was almost done. I had come so far, and it would be a terrible shame to give up now and leave it unfinished. It was right at this point (281.4 miles from the end) that I decided to dedicate the rest of my trip to my grandfather, who recently suffered a stroke. Now I cant fail, because he never would let me down, so I must do the same.

All in all, the number of miles wasn't very many, but the effort expended was HUGE. The A.
It's been exhausting to get here
T. in Maine is like the A.T. on steroids. I'm pretty sure that the trail maintainers regularly apply doses of 'the cream' and 'the clear' to it. It's like playing Mega Man where you beat all the bosses, only to unlock the last level where you have to fight them all again. It's roots and rocks and rivers and bogs and cliffs and bugs and oh so many mountains. And there is no relief. Up and then right back down. And then right back up. down. You might think you get it, but you don't even have an idea. It's tough.

So I got into the shelter early in the afternoon, to find Huff and Wane No already there. I told the story of how I slid down one of the rock slides on my ass, only to tear the seat out of my shorts - oh well. We ant and got to sleep early, since tomorrow holds what many claim to be the hardest mile on the trail. Mohoosuc Notch. It's a craggy path full of boulders that you need to pick your way through. Supposedly more suited for rock climbers than hikers, but we shall find out. My plan is to get up early and attack. Not sit around and fear it, but grab the bull by the horns.
Finally, in the last state
Its been exhausting to get here
It's been exhausting to get here