Day 53

Eliza Brook Shelter, NH Travel Blog

Above treeline

Happy Independence Day.  To be honest, I don't really care.  There is no BBQ with beer and fireworks to attend, so I'm kinda at a loss.  I do kind of wish I was at home to hang out with friends and family, but I know there will be time for that soon.  Right now I need to concentrate on the task at hand - Mount Moosilauke, the gateway to the Whites.

We left the hostel later than I would have liked, but there were things to do before we left, like pack and eat and drink coffee.  Even though I was exhausted, the coffee masked it, so I didn't feel so sluggish.  We attacked the mountain and all in all didn't do too badly.  The top was different than any mountain I had seen before.  We were above the tree line and it was incredible.

Franconia Ridge, approaching Mt. Lafayette
  We had a quick snack and headed on to Beaver Brook Shelter for lunch.  Lookeing back, I REALLY wish we would have stopped there, but hindsight is always 20.20 (with Barbara Walters, NOT John Stossel).

After lunch we set out to descent Moosilauke, which is incredibly steep, and supposed to be on of the hardest descents of the trail.  Not five minutes into it, I fall and broke my hiking pole in half.  Good! Great! Grand! Wonderful!  Now I have to do a really hard section with half my equiptment.  Oh well, I'll make due.  It was tough and took a long time, and I was overjoyed to see the bottom.  For about 8 seconds, because then I saw that we had to go back up.  Mt Wolf slapped me around and called me Susan.  Multiple times.  I wasn't steeper, or higher, or longer, just rockier.  It seemed like you had to climb five feet, walk five feet, and climb down five feet.  Repeat for 4 hours.  It was a megabitch.  I let the other two bucaroos go ahead, because I didn't want to cost them a spot in the shelter because of me.  I was doggin it.  Hardest day of the trail so far.  17 miles felt like 50!! (That's a factorial symbol right there folks.)

I got to the shelter and hoped to pass out hard.  No such luck.  I don't know if it was the cup of coffee or the full shelter or what.  I was absolutely exhauseted, but sleep didn't come easy.  Sucks.  Maybe I can catch up tomorrow. New Shoes!

Above treeline
Franconia Ridge, approaching Mt. L…
Franconia Ridge, approaching Mt. …
Eliza Brook Shelter, NH