Day 52

Hikers Welcome Shelter, Glencliff, NH Travel Blog

A 20 mile day.  Feels like we haven't done any distance like that in a long time.  But it wasn't so bad.  The terrain wasn't terribly rouch, just very muddy.

The big let down occurred when I got to the hostel and the shoes I ordered weren't there.  James' were, but not mine.  Awesome.  I called the company, and the shoes were out of stock, so they refunded my money.  I tried to explain how I needed those shoes, and my situation, but they said they had refunded my money, so I shouldn't worry about it.  They would have notified me, but they didn't have an email address on file.  OOPS. SO sorry.  It made me appreciate how much the world relies on email nowadays.  So I'm dissappointed because my shoes are totally shot.  If you saw me in them, you would laugh, and then feel bad because you thought I was a crazy person, and then laugh again.  But I'm over it, there is a place to buy shoes in 2 days, and these shoes should last that long.  I hope.  Tomorrow we head into the dreaded White Mountains, and I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

The hostel with great.  Fat Chap and Fej were running it and it was most definately a "no worries" type of place.  "Do what you gotta do" was uttered multiple times.  It had an outdoor hot shower and big dome tents (like car ports or portable garages) everywhere.  You could pretty much do as you pleased as long as you paid for whatever you ate.

We were joined for the night by Taick, Hero (who is a pretty cool dude.  He is going to school for astrophysics and said he would give me a heads up if any Armageddon type situation were to arise) Deja Vu, and Seaweed Sally.  We passed the time watching Super Troopers and drinking.  I went to bed way too late and the microwave pizza and ice cream bar turned my stomach in a bad direction.  I didn't sleep much again.  It's starting to wear on me a little.  Oh well, I should be able to fix it tomorrow - in the WHITE MOUNTAINS!

X_Drive says:
It's good to see that you are making good progress, with some normal unexpected problems here and there, but you just gotta stop and get a camera. :)
Posted on: Aug 03, 2006