Day 38

Seth Warner Shelter, VT Travel Blog

Thanks a ton to Justin, who gave us a ride back to the top of Mt Greylock to continue our northward journey.  The super rally-car maneuvers that you pulled off going up the mountain were nothing short of impresseive.

It is always a little bit of a shock getting back on the trail.  You know that you need to walk, but it takes about an hour to get warmed up again.  It's like "oh yeah, we're walking."

There were only 13 miles that needed to get covered, so we took our sweet time.  It didn't make sense to go to the next shelter, so we took a stop in Williamstown for lunch.  Roast beef on a bagel... delicious.  I also grabbed a small bottle of Jim Bean, just for kicks.  Yeah, it's weight, but its weight that I can easily justify.  We grabbed a ride back to the trailhead from Tom, a Dalton guy who takes in hikers.  More trail magic.

The two most memorable parts of crossing into Vermont: seeing the signs for the Long Trail (a VT Trail that runs about 280 miles total, almost 100 in conjunction with the AT) and the bugs.  Everything that I think the bugs are bad, it turns up to a whole new level.  Gnats suck!

The last major event of the day was the Thunderstorm.  Talk about intense.  We got to the shelter literally minutes before it started to pour, and were very thankful that we did.  We spent the rest of the time in the shelter with Bear Bait, Paul with Bunyons, and a dad and his two kids who were completing their last section of the Long Trail.  Pretty cool, and definatly something that I would like to share with my kids one day... if any woman is foolish enough to get tricked into that.  Nice, easy day today, planning for a big one tomorrow.

Seth Warner Shelter, VT